With a grant, I purchased a class set of whisper phones. I had noticed them in a teacher catalog, and I thought, at the time, that whoever created them was a genius. I had the old-fashioned kind made from PVC Pipe, but the Whisper Phones were far superior because the students wouldn't have to hold onto them and could read to themselves without disturbing anyone.
New Whisper Phones
At first I was delighted with the Whisper Phones. They each came in their own pouch, so I numbered them and put one in each student's seat sack. However, my enthusiasm quickly passed, as the students tried to use them. The Whisper Phones go around the back of the head, and the boom (where they talk through) is supposed to be in front of the kids' mouths. The problem is that the boom easily becomes detached from the holder as the kids adjust them to line up with their mouths or to sit more comfortably around their heads. The worst part is that the kids cannot reattach the boom to the holder themselves, and I have to say that I found it very difficult myself to get them to snap into place. I was spending so much time running around the room snapping booms back on, that it just became ridiculous. So, long story...but I boxed them up and put them away. Occasionally, I get them back out and try to rethink them. I have considered glueing the booms in place, but then the students wouldn't be able to adjust them to their varying head sizes. I tried to write the company, but they never responded to me. Every once in a while I check the site to see if they have made any design changes. I notice that they now have a hand-held version. I would be very interested to hear from any one else who has used these phones and how they have worked for you.
Check out Whisper Phones here: http://www.whisperphone.com/index.php/shop
- Hello, my name is dijobaker, and I am a second grade teacher. I love to use technology in my classroom, and I have been making interactive Power Points for the past ten years, and SMART board lessons for three years. I have also many ideas for organizing your classroom and classroom management. Check out my products at Teachers PayTeachers.com.
- Fun New Tool!
- Mother's Day Project Linky Party
- My Classroom!
- What's the most useful thing on your supply list?
- Listening Center Linky Party
- Funniest Moment
- Whisper Phones - Feedback Needed!!!
- Inexpensive Chart Stands
- Omg! One More Thing I Love.
- My Very Favorite Things!!!
- Tattle Tale Book
- My Space!
- Cute Cubes!
- Beat the Clock
- Love Those Pocket Charts!
- I'm always looking for ways to motivate my student...
- Carpet Time!
- Power Point Presentations at TPT
- Blooming with Adjectives
- Classroom Rules
- What's your favorite classroom read aloud?
- ▼ April (21)
Bulletin Board Ideas (1) Classroom Decor (1) Classroom Management (9) Contest (2) Feedback Needed (1) Giveaway (1) Just Venting (1) linky party (14) Motivation (1) Organization (6) Product Review (1) Products For Sale (4) Projects (1) Ranting (1) Sharing Ideas (2) Teacher Appreciation Gift (1) Technology (2) TPT Lesson (1)
Powered by Blogger.